7 Reasons Why Kiwi is the Ultimate Superfruit
Out of the many exotic fruits out there, the kiwi is definitely one that you want to make sure you include in your diet. This delicious, fuzzy little berry is low in calories, sodium, fat and is cholesterol free. The kiwi is also overwhelmingly jam packed with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that support health and overall well being. Eating several kiwis per day is key to reaping all of the fruit’s amazing health rewards.
KIWI NUTRIENT PROFILE:
- An average sized kiwi has approximately 42 calories, yet it contains an astonishing amount of other essential nutrients that have a wide range of health benefits . For this reason, the kiwi is undeniably a king among superfruits.
High Potassium Profile:
- A medium kiwi contains 215 mg of potassium, an essential mineral that supports cardiovascular, kidney, and nervous system health. Potassium also promotes water balance, muscular function, and a strong metabolism.
- A kiwi also contains about 8% of your daily fiber intake, about 2.1 grams per kiwi. Kiwi fiber promotes healthy digestion and can reduce high cholesterol to reduce the risk of heart disease. It also binds and removes toxins from the colon and can potentially prevent colon cancer. Like other high fiber foods, the kiwi is excellent for maintaining blood sugar in diabetics.
Super High Vitamin C and Antioxidant Profile:
- A kiwi, believe it or not, has more Vitamin C than an orange; 106 percent daily value in one kiwi. Vitamin C, the most abundant water-soluble antioxidant, removes free radicals that destroy cell DNA to cause conditions like inflammation and cancer. Vitamin C has a slew of other immune benefits including prevention of atherosclerosis, diabetic heart disease, and certain cancers. Vitamin C also show promise in reduction of severity for conditions like asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Nutrients for Eye Health:
- Kiwis contain high concentrations of lutein and zeaxanthin; substances naturally present in the eye. These chemicals have been found to reduce macular degeneration, a leading cause of vision loss in elderly people
Low Glycemic Index:
- Kiwi has a low glycemic index. This means it does not rapidly increase blood sugar levels, so it is safe for diabetics and those on diets.
- Kiwi is considered an extremely alkaline fruit, so it is rich in minerals that balance acidity in the body. Benefits of proper alkaline balance include enhanced physical energy, improved sleep quality, immune support, and skin and muscular stability.
The kiwi is definitely one of nature’s strongest superfoods, but it will not guarantee your health if you do not balance your diet with other whole, healthy food products. So don’t forget to eat a variety of other wholesome foods, and don’t forget about your good friend kiwi.